Thursday, January 22, 2009

Luck of the Draw

This week at Melbourne Park, the Australian Open began. In the world of tennis, it is the first Grand Slam event of the year. While I am ultimately rooting for Roger Federer to win this particular event, there are also lesser known players that I am also rooting for (not necessarily to win but at least to get in deep into the tournament), for example, the up and coming Latvian Ernests Gulbis. Unfortunately, the television coverage for the tournament only showcases the matches involving the likes of Federer, Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic.

Wanting to see Gulbis play, I desperately searched the net for any site that shows live tennis being played. Luckily for me, in a tennis blog, there is a link to a broadcast of live plays in different courts in Melbourne Park. I hurriedly clicked the link and lo and behold, the site is for real (knowing the internet, I was pleasantly surprised).

I do not know the extent of the lawfulness of the service that was provided because at the back of my head, I kept on thinking that I should be paying for this broadcast while watching the match. But quite frankly, I did not really care. I was watching the match that I wanted and though I would prefer to watch it in Australia, my current financial state would not let me.

And even though Gulbis lost the match, I am quite content knowing that the next time I want to watch a particular match, I know where to go.

---
Rivera, Jan Michael A.
02-16779

No comments: