Thursday, January 15, 2009

Xoooooooom!

About 4-5 years ago, I got into a small online business and needed a payment facility. Paypal then was not yet offered to the Philippines. A friend recommended to me Xoom, which allows money transfers in different ways to almost anywhere in the world. You can use your credit card, debit card, or bank account to add funds to your Xoom account. You can also use your Paypal to fund your Xoom money transfer. Your recipient can receive it either by pick-up (SM Forex, selected banks, Cebuana Lhuiller branches, etc.), bank deposit or door-to-door delivery.

Back then, Xoom provided the only facility because most of my clients were from the US and use Paypal as the mode of paying for their purchases. So what happens is I tell them to go to Xoom's site, and use their Paypal to fund the money transfer to Xoom, then Xoom would deposit the money directly to my account. It was not even necessary for my clients to sign up for an account. Xoom also has a tracking option which can allow you to check whether your transfer is already being processed or already completed.

When receiving money through Xoom, it was very convenient because I can pick it up from various establishments around so I won't have to worry even if I'm away from home or if I'm out of town.

I had an unfortunate incident though with them, still not knowing the reasons. My cousin had sent money using Xoom for deposit into my bank account. After around 2 weeks, the money still wasn't deposited so we started to ask Xoom about it. It was discovered that it was deposited to an inactive bank account somewhere in the Visayas region, named after someone who has the same name as I do (different middle name though). It took us about a few months before being about to refund the money. It was much of a hassle just because of a few mistakes. I thought, Xoom should not have proceeded with the deposit since the bank account was named after someone who had a different middle name. And I thought banks are supposed to be careful as well in dealing and transacting with the public. Then again, what could they have done, in view of the client's request for money transfer? Should they comply with the client's order despite the fact that there are minor differences involving the transaction? Does the fact that users don't need to have Xoom accounts give rise to any difficulty in such a situation? But anyway, thankfully, we were able to refund (though after going through so much).

Even after that incident, I still continue to use Xoom because of the convenience and fast transactions they have to offer. The benefits are greater than the hassles (which was actually just that one time for me, so far). Xoom is also recommended for those who need fast transactions like for emergency situations, in which I was in one when I got hospitalized last December. And whenever a problem would arise, their customer service will really try to accomodate your needs. They won't drop you like a hot potato! :)

No comments: