Thursday, January 22, 2009

cyber-stalking

I’ve just very recently joined the online application “twitter”. According to its homepage, it’s “a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?” It seemed harmless enough so I signed up. The first 3 updates were just random thoughts that I was sure would go unnoticed. To my surprise, a couple of people were soon following my account. This meant that my updates would appear on their homepage every time they logged in. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t think anything of this since I do have accounts in other social networking sites. The thing I found most weird about this instance was that these people were complete strangers. I then wondered what business they had subscribing to my updates and finding out what I was doing at certain points in time.

I then remembered my theory that the internet oiled the way for stalking. I’ll admit that I have used it one time too many to look up certain individuals but I think twitter-ing is a whole new level. I’m not saying all twitters are stalkers. I just have a feeling that I’ve stumbled upon THE stalker’s lair. Mwahahahaha.

No comments: