Thursday, January 29, 2009

What? I didn’t buy this! (PART I)

Last year, my mom realized that there were unauthorized monthly charges to her credit card from “American Leisure” and “EZ Saver”, at around $30/month. Unfortunately, my dad thought that my mom had bought something on installment or subscribed to a magazine when we were in the States, so he continued paying for the charges for almost a year. Turns out it’s a big credit card scam run by Encore Marketing International, an apparently legit company that markets itself as “the most experienced provider of revenue enhancement solutions to retail, catalog and internet merchants.” So experienced in fact, that they’re ripping people off for their own “revenue enhancement” :p

I’m not really sure but I think the way they work is that they entice companies (legit or otherwise) to avail of their services, then they use the credit card info of these companies’ customers to siphon their funds away little by little. Since the charges are relatively small and the customer presumes they’re from the company they’re transacting with, they let the charging go on until they realize that it doesn’t stop and in most cases, they don’t receive the product they purchased. Sneaky sneaky.

To be continued next week.

No comments: