Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hello, technical support?

I remember my first technical support agent all the way back from my iconnect days. Her name was Glyneth Dinggal and she was an angel. I was in sixth grade and it was my first time to use the internet and when i couldn't figure out my eudora mail or when netscape navigator wouldn't load, i'd dial their hotline and ask for her by name. I'll bet giving me her name was the biggest mistake of her technical support life. Pretty soon, I was calling her for various problems that a little DIY troubleshooting could have solved for me.

And then the inevitable happened, super-skilled Glyneth probably advanced in the corporate ladder and she was no longer there to entertain my questions. And THAT was the best thing she did for my internet-using life. I began tinkering with the settings by myself. I would search Yahoo for other people who had the same problems, for programs I wanted, for viruses I needed to get rid of. Its amazing how empowering the Internet can be in terms of providing you with an access to the stream of common knowledge and experience. Troubleshooting forums are heaven-sent (if you know how to find the good ones at least.) Its even more gratifying and empowering to be able to post your own suggested solutions and later on find out that they work.

So to you, Glyneth Dinggal, thank you. I now know how to fix an IP address conflict (turn the PS3 off! He he he!)

No comments: