Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anyone out there use PayPal?

You might want to check out these sites: www.paypalsucks.com, www.nopaypal.com, www.paypalwarning.com. Here are some cautionary nuggets of information one provides:

1. According to PayPal accepting their Terms of Service in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account.
2. They intentionally make the phone number very difficult to find in order to save costs.The only reason their number can be found now is because they were forced to by law (EFTA Electronic Funds Transaction Act) due to complaints from users.
3. Their terms of service are not completely disclosed upon signup and some key "conditions" are not disclosed. They fail to mention their total lack of security to prevent your account from being compromised by phishing and spoof sites. The "Terms of Service" provides that PayPal can close your account for any reason whatsoever, or no reason, and then you have to wait 180 days to get your money.

Not that I actually use PayPal. Just an FYI.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Achie! I have Paypal but I don't have any problems with the credit card protection issue since I get to fund my account through Paypal funds. I don't use any credit card or bank account so I guess I'm yet on the safe side. Also, Paypal sends out warning emails regarding phishing sites. Anyone who transacts money over the internet takes the risk and should exercise extraordinary diligence by being aware, I guess. But thanks for sharing this! It doesn't hurt to be careful, right? :)

Digoy Kabatay (05-78037) said...

Haha, you said "nuggets"

Angelique Ocampo said...

Hey Marge! Yeah, most of their warnings seem to be credit card account-related. So I don't think you have much to worry about :) Sorry if this post freaked you out. I'm running out of things to blog about. Hehe.

Angelique Ocampo said...

Ah, yes, nuggets. Like Dr. Kenneth Noisewater. Hope I got the name right.