Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Not the Sword, It's the Man

I have a defined study routine in which the use of my laptop is essential and central. I feel crippled whenever I'm studying and I couldn't hear the quiet hum of my laptop's cooling fan.

Last sem, I lost my laptop. With this, the error of my ways became apparent: I have created an inflexible pattern which incapacitated me for a few days.

I was lost. Then came a bit of pop-tv wisdom from my forever seatmate, Jason: "It's not the Sword, It's the Man."

There's nothing wrong with using ICT breakthroughs to improve our lives. There's a risk, however, of being too dependent on ICT and other technological advances and lose our core competencies.

So, if we liken our consciousness to a desktop, it would be prudent to have permanent system tray notification reminding us that at the end of day, everything is ultimately dependent on flesh and blood.

No comments: