Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gapminder - Having Fun with Statistics

Boston: After attending 4 solid days of power point presentations which had graphs upon graphs of what seemed (yes I wasn't altogether certain) to be statistics on things ranging from the airborne particles and pollutants which composed the so-called Asian Brown Cloud to statistics on how Indian women in Calcutta utilized public transportation --- I was ready to barf.

The presentations ranged from mildly amusing to major snoozefests.

As I was vainly trying to focus on one of the snoozers, someone said from behind the room "not another set of statistics!" at which point the presentor reddened and appeared to be a bit embarassed.

"Well," he said. "I am not a cruel man, and I don't want the audience to suffer needlessly." "But," he continued, "I do have a point which I want to make."

And so he continued until he made his point (which I am not sure most in the audience understood) and then said in a soft voice a little aside about gapminder.

At which point he went to taking about "making sense of the world by having fun with statistics."

And the world became alive.

If only we can see everything clearly.

It blew my mind.

No comments: