Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Internet? Sounds Good!

The main source of my techno-stress is that most downloaded music aren’t labeled the way I like it: I am obsessively-compulsively required to have the song titles in title case, and the artists’ names should be perfectly spelled, down to the “é” in Beyoncé. I also want the album names matched with the corresponding album artwork – it makes using my iPod so much more interesting.

With the internet, I just click on the arrow right beside the song, and iTunes Store automatically looks for the album name. A few clicks more and iTunes offers to get the album artwork of all my properly labeled music files. Install a lyrics widget, and then lyrics to the song currently playing are automatically downloaded to my library, and these lyrics are also viewable on my iPod. There is also Gracenote CDDB (CD Database), which automatically labels the songs once a CD is inserted, so the menial task of individually typing the track names before ripping the CD is done away with. So one can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music.

Although on the other hand, I wouldn’t have been placed in the stressful situation of having too much music if the internet had never been invented in the first place.

No comments: