Thursday, February 26, 2009

E-Plagiarism?

I haven't realized that blogging and generally creating online content have its risk. And one of those risks is getting your work copied by other persons, claiming it as their own, without even giving you credit for your intellectual creation. That person didn't even care to change the title I made! This article appeared in an online journal, appearing to be legit and professional.

I didn't think this would happen to me because I don't create excellent and superb articles. Apparently, no one is safe from plagiarism. What recourse do I have to take? How do I enforce my IP rights? I even checked the various terms and conditions of the websites involved.

Right now, upon advice of Sir Gigo, all I can do is inform the company to which I submitted my article or inform the other journal where the plagiarized material is posted that such article is mine and their contributor practically copy-pasted it and claimed it as his own. This concept would discourage people from making and contributing ideas online and would further hinder the development of intellectual property realm.

If there's one thing I value much, it's the ideas and articles I put my efforts into making. And I would really be pissed if someone would copy it and pass it off as their own, with just a few clicks. I hate copycats.

No comments: