Sunday, February 22, 2009

corporate social responsibility

I hosted the 44th Anvil Awards last Friday night,and boy, was it a lot of fun. :) More than the fun, it was also quite inspiring to find out about the various corporate social responsibility projects that the major multinationals engage in. Never mind that what was being lauded was the PR work done for these CSRs; at bottom, there was a CSR.
The big winners were Shell, Smart, Globe, GMA, ABS-CBN... and surprisingly, the Department of Energy and the Department of Tourism. I know that most CSR work, while avowedly for the benefit of the community or employees, function as corporate deodorants - disinfectants even. But before I judge, I thank. I am thankful that these companies, at the very least, initiate these projects. I was particularly struck by CSR projects of Smart (Doon Po Sa Amin), which focused a lot on content development by their target communities. This is part of their "internet for all" advocacy.
I suppose that with this new wave of CSR initiatives, these corporations with a "conscience" prove to be a good source of funding for ICT-related projects for smaller communities, students and the youth in general. Perhaps it would be even better if recognition was given to the CSRs themselves, and not just the PR work that pushes it. That way we can be sure that the CSR is really good and sustainable, not just well documented and laid-out. :)

1 comment:

David Coethica said...

Hi Theresa.

I'm glad you could see past the initial perceptions of CSR, especially within an award and PR context.

I am sure there are companies that see CSR as a marketing function. No company is perfect. Some try more than others but I firmly believe that as long as businesses are doing the right thing, motives are secondary. Yes. I'd much prefer positive actions for the the highest of moral reasons but I'll take what I can get!