Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tumbang Preso, Patintero and Madden NFL 10

Last month, I visited my aunt Perla and my two cousins in the province. It's been a long time since my last visit there. My two cousins, both male, were very happy to see me. Both were eager to tell me their stories mostly about school and their friends. They were also excited in relating to me how they beat each other when it comes to playing their choice of games in their X-Box 360 as well as Sony PSP. The younger one was proud to say that his kuya is no match to him in playing Madden.

I asked my cousins if they play patintero or tumbang preso and they suddenly looked at me as if I just spoke Greek. They told me that they never heard of that game before but they were curious to learn those stuff. I just promised to them that on my next visit we'll play tumbang preso.

I realized that popular video games such as X-Box, Playstation or Nintendo DS are robbing these kids the chance to experience what the kids of my generation used to relish. This is to enjoy playing truly Pinoy games like patintero, tumbang preso as well as agawan base. I, myself have some fond memories in playing these wonderful pasttimes. I believe that it is not necessarily bad that the children play video games. But it is just sad that these video games compete with the children's time. I believe that these pinoy games help in the child's development. Through these games, the kids learn the virtue of teamwork, camaraderie, trust, leadership and sportsmanship to name a few which I don't see them learning while playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. And besides, these pinoy games are already part of the Pinoy culture.


Raymond R. Roque
06-78143

No comments: