Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Don't Forget to FOSS

Prior to last Friday’s lecture, I had no idea as to what free and open source software (FOSS) was. As such, I suppose I would fit the profile of the dream client of big software networks – someone who is totally ignorant that there are actually good alternatives available.

What appealed to me most about FOSS is that it is completely antithetical to the concept of a monopoly. In a monopoly, the manufacturer has little incentive to improve the quality of the product, has the ability to command a higher price, and the consumer is left to accept it at that. Although I understand that there is a premium to be paid for research and development, in an ideal world, a manufactured who has cashed-in way, way beyond his investment ought to bring the price down at a certain point. However, such is not the case. Consumers have had to endure exorbitant costs for original software and I always thought it had to be that way especially since we have an anti-piracy policy in the house. That's the price you pay for trying to be principled, so I thought. Being the cynic that I am, what makes FOSS all the more an alien concept to me is the idea that people who don’t know each other would actually share and work together to develop something simply for the purpose of improving a product they would be using, with no strings attached. At this day and age where everything comes with a catch, a price tag, in that sense alone, FOSS is already revolutionary. I think if that philosophy were to be adopted in other fields, we would be a far more progressive people. That might even be an understatement.

For the longest time, I only knew of Microsoft Windows and I had to embrace it, warts and all. I understood it. It spoke my language and has become my comfort zone. But despite my blind loyalty all these years, it's starting to feel like unrequited love. Although I’m far from making any drastic changes right now, computer dunce that I am, it’s just good to know I have options.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

"For the longest time, I only knew of Microsoft Windows and I had to embrace it, warts and all."

I agree with this!! I also commiserated with the speaker when he complained about being forced to use Vista. I bought my laptop last June and was aghast to find out that I had to pay extra just to change the OS to XP. XP has grown to be home for me and I didn't want to leave, but since I didn't have money to cover the "downgrade," I had to be resilient and adjust to my new OS. Ugh! You know there's something wrong when it's the person that has to adjust to a machine!

FOSS is a really interesting concept for me but being the little techno-phobe that I am, I doubt I’ll be using it anytime soon. Part of the reason why FOSS scares me is the fact that I know nothing about codes and programming. I’m afraid I’m going to download a version that I believe would best suit me only to find out later that I was wrong – and the direst consequence would be the deletion of my files. *shudder* Maybe I just need to research on the topic a little bit more… get to know it better so that all my fears will be appeased. If FOSS is as good as they say it is, I’m sure I’ll come around to actually being a user… someday.