Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sex Offenders

San Francisco: While I was pregnant with my now 9-month old daughter, I had a lot of time to think about things like: should I buy her clothes in neutral colors like yellow and green in anticipation of another child (who could be a boy)? Or should I give in to my urge to buy them in pink and let the "anticipated child" if he turns out to be a boy, suffer ridicule and humiliation (because I am not about to buy another 3 dozen onesies)? As a compromise, I bought both blue and pink clothes. I figure they should suffer equally. Solomonic eh?

The clothing issue settled, (I have a checklist) I then went to the next item which was "how many perverts are living near my area right now?" I googled "how to find sex offenders in your area" and the first hit was this. I was beyond consoling when I could not see my street in the map anymore because of the numerous red dots representing the homes of pervs that live in my area. And live in a very quiet street.

Manila: Coming back home, I am on high alert and would look in suspicion at every stranger cooing at my child. I would shoo away most and say my child needs to rest. Thinking about how I can protect my kid from these highly recidivist non-registered predators keeps me up more nights than I would care to admit.

And then I read in this week's Time magazine that MySpace has deleted 90,000 accounts of registered sex offenders.

How do I protect her from that?

No comments: