Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Facebook Policy

A lot of people are so addicted to Facebook nowadays and certainly I am not part of the exception. I change my status religiously, I accept plants, bracelets, hugs and Havaianas from friends. The whole experience would not be complete if I didn’t add photos so let’s just say I have a couple of albums available for viewing.

It was quite alarming to find out from a radio station that the moment you upload User Content in Facebook, it becomes the property of Facebook. This compelled me to check their terms contained in their application. While it was a relief that they specifically said Facebook does not assert any ownership over the User Content, it bothered me that the Company may retain archived copies of it. Also, by posting User Content to any part of the site, there is an automatic grant and warrant that the user has the right to grant the company an “irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing”. Just a small caveat before posting.

No comments: