Thursday, February 5, 2009

Giving In to Temptation

When Ipod first came out in 2001 I was probably one of the few who had not shown interest in buying it. I liked the marketing campaign, it was fun and cool, but in my mind it was a fad that will fade in a year. Well, time has proven me wrong. Take two steps along Katipunan and you’ll spot at least one student walking, wearing earphones, bopping to the music of their iPods. But even as the Ipod became the “must have” gadget for techies, I’ve never had a reason to buy one. I don’t like listening to music through earphones when I commute to school. I preferred silence when I study. I’d rather curl up with a good book than turn on the radio. And frankly, I like being different - I chose my cellphone particularly because only a few people had the same model. I thought I got an Ipod then I’ll be just one of the clones. So why buy one?
Then I started law school and suddenly the silence was too much while reading my cases. I needed something to tune out the outside world while I studying. My brother (who can balance a 12 column ledger with the radio at full blast) took pity and gave me his old mp3 player. This was a CD-R king brand with only 512 MB memory but I was satisfied with it. I didn’t need one with all the bells and whistles, as long as it was working. Three years into law school and suddenly my old reliable MP3 player decided to retire (in other word, I broke it) and I was suddenly in need of a replacement. So what do I get? An Ipod. After years of resisting the silver apple, I finally decided to take a bite.

No comments: